This dish is called "pastel tutup" in Indonesia. A comfort food that my family loves.
Boneless chicken, cut small
Bacon, cut small (optional)
Carrots, cut small
Cheddar or parmesan cheese (optional)
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1. Boil or steam potatoes until soft, mash, add some milk, butter, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
2. Boil rice vermicelli until soft. Set aside.
3. Hard-boil eggs. Divide each egg into four smaller pieces. Set aside. (You can use as many eggs as you like, I use four eggs for one casserole dish).
4. Make the potpie filling. Heat up coconut oil, stir fry garlic, then add chicken, bacon, and carrots. Cook until meat is well done and carrots are soft. Add in rice vermicelli, a little dash of nutmeg, milk, salt, and pepper. Add in cheese to thicken the filling. Stir well.
5. Place the filling and eggs in an oven-proof dish and cover with mashed potatoes.
6. Bake at 375 F until the top of the mashed potatoes turn brown.