Cinnamon and ginger are just lovely for this holiday season and this healthy version of banana muffins were a hit in the family, including the toddler. You can add your favorite nuts, raisins, chocolate chips, or dried berries in these muffins, but mine was just a plain one.
Yields 15 mini muffins
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup sucanat (a natural sugar alternative)
1/6 cup milk
1/8 cup coconut oil (melted)
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 mashed bananas
1. Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
2. Grease muffin pans with coconut oil.
3. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, and cinnamon. Stir well.
4. In another bowl, whisk together the ginger, egg, honey, sucanat, milk, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Then add the mashed bananas and mix well.
5. Pour wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Don’t over-mix.
6. Put the batter up to 2/3 of the muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes until the top turns golden brown.