Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Practical Things I Learned from My Late Grandfather


I had an awesome grandfather. He was one person who was always full of energy and full of love. You would rarely see him idle. He was always talking to people, giving advice to people, and helping people, regardless of race, status, or religion. When he was alive and in his old age, he had daily habits that he just had to do, which made people wait for him and put patience to the test for those who cared for him. We thought those habits were time consuming and pointless, but now I realize that those were some of the most practical things that are actually beneficial for our health. They might seem trivial and unimportant, but he knew better, and I'm so glad he never stopped telling us the same things over and over until they are stuck in my mind.

Physical Health

1. Always gargle your mouth with water after you eat. When we are out and about, it is important to clean your mouth at least with water after you eat, especially sweet food, so that food particles don't get stuck in your mouth. Bacteria grows not only in between your teeth, but also on your tongue.

2. Comb your hair a hundred strokes after you take shower. Brushing keeps our hair and scalp healthy by distributing the natural oils throughout the hair shaft and increases blood circulation in the scalp.

3. Dry your hands and feet completely after you wash them. Check in-between your fingers. Drying our hands thoroughly after washing prevents the transfer of germs.

4. Dental hygiene. He always made sure he cleaned his teeth after each meal and got rid of any food that might have stuck in between his teeth to minimize bacteria from growing. 

5. Exercise. He went to Monas each morning and exercised with my grandmother until he couldn't do it anymore. We know the importance of exercising but we don't usually do it enough.



Spiritual Health

6. Always smile. When I think about it, I have never seen my late grandfather frown or had a sad look on his face. He was always smiling and seeing him brightened our days. Maybe that was one of the reasons he had a long healthy life.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones." - Proverbs 17:22

7. Sing and Dance. He loved to sing and dance, even in his old age or in the midst of strangers. He was a happy man. No, we don't have to sing and dance in public, but I find that when I sing (whether loudly or quietly) when I'm down, I'm comforted, when I sing when I'm happy, my heart rejoices. 

"Praise the Lord! For it is good to sing praises to our God; for it is pleasant, and a song of praise is fitting." - Psalm 147:1

8. Simplicity. He was always doing something and talking to people, but he was a simple man. He loved God and his family, and that's all he needed. He didn't ask much of anything, didn't want to burden anyone with anything, and gave the best to other people. 

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." - Matthew 6:21

9. He gave more than he received. He gave generously in every area of his life, be it time, energy, or money. He gave without expecting anything in return.

"In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'" - Acts 20:35

10. He was a man after God's own heart. He believed in Jesus Christ and his life portrayed Christ-like characters. His presence conveyed joy and peace that you could only see in a person who has experienced the love of Christ. He has touched many lives and he has finished his race well.

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." - 2 Timothy 4:7


Life is too short to dwell in the trivial things of life. Life is too precious to rush through in the fast lane. Let's finish this race well and leave a legacy worthy of passing on for the generations to come.

"We will not hide them from their children, but tell to the coming generation the glorious deeds of the Lord, and his might, and the wonders that he has done." - Psalm 78:4


6 comments:

  1. Just beautiful! Thanks for sharing your wonderful grandfather with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, thank you for you kind words and for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. And he must be proud to have such a wise and loving grand daughter like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ci! Your words always encourage me!

      Delete
  3. i lovee your grandpa <3 thanks for sharing this! and oh nooo!!! - -" i rarely comb my hair T.T

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are so right cous.. now i miss him sooooo muchhh

    ReplyDelete